Watch as our esteemed panel (Kelly Inouye-Perez, Kim Oden, William D. Parham, Terry Liskevych) discuss how to have critical conversations with your team about race, diversity and inclusion.
- Kelly Inouye-Perez, UCLA Softball head coach, 2-time NCAA National Champion (coach), 3-time NCAA National Champion (player)
- Kim Oden, 2-time Olympian, 2-time NCAA Volleyball National Player of the Year, former assistant coach at Stanford, UNC, Duke & Iowa State, current Associate Director of College Counseling at Campbell Hall School in L.A.
- William D. Parham, Ph.D., ABPP, Director of Mental Health & Wellness for the National Basketball Players Association (NBPA)
- Moderated by Terry Liskevych, former U.S. Women's Volleyball National Team Head Coach ('85-'96)
Additional Resources on Race, Diversity and Inclusion in Sport
NCAA (National Collegiate Athletic Association)
- NCAA inclusion resources, including webinar: “Speak up, you are not alone” on tools and best practices to support student-athletes mental health & well-being
- NCAA Resource Page: Creating an Inclusive Culture
- NCAA Office of Inclusion PDF: Strategies for Addressing Racial Injustice
- NCAA Video: Inclusion Insights: Mid-American Conference
- NCAA Social Series: Addressing Racial Inequity
COSIDA (College Sports Information Directors of America)
- Resource page: CoSIDA Racial & Social Justice Initiatives
- Video: Critical Conversation: The Intersection of Race and Athletic Communications
- Video: Critical Conversation: How Communicators Can Become Effective Allies
- Article: Race, Sports and Athletic Communications – Championing Allyship into Action
- Podcast: Denise Thompson | Through my lens
- Webinar: Opportunities and Challenges Faced by Young Women of Color in Athletic Communications
UAA (University Athletic Association)
- UAA Conversations about Race and Racism article: Monica Harrison (Carnegie Mellon University Head Softball Coach)
- UAA Conversations about Race and Racism article: Bianca Smith (first Black woman coach in professional baseball)
- Uncomfortable Conversations with a Black Man by Emmanuel Acho: A book that helps create a dialogue that is honest, straightforward, and accessible to those seeking answers.
- The Black Women Athletic Alliance: A private Facebook group started by Howard University volleyball player Fola Wilson for Black women who are current athletes as a safe space for discussing current issues, sharing stories, and receiving support and validation
- Just Women’s Sports: Kelsey Stewart on making softball more inclusive
- UNCUT Chapel Hill: Hannah George - Is that what they think?
- This Is Us: An independent softball team dedicated to empowering young women, uniting the softball community, and raising awareness of racism in softball and society
- SEC Racial and Social Equality: Beyond the Whiteboard: A coaches conversation
- University of Texas Division of Diversity and Community Engagement: Supporting Our Black Student-Athletes in the Time of Coronavirus
- Starlings Volleyball: Diversity guidelines (.doc)
- Current student-athletes discuss their experiences: Being Black II with Michael Carter, Briana Pinto, Jake Lawler, and Hannah George
- Volleyballmag.com article: Black NCAA volleyball coaches share their personal stories
- UNCUT Chapel Hill Video: Discrimination against Black female athletes
- NACDA Video: The Intersection of Race, Student-Athletes and College Athletics in America
- Article from The Guardian: Kareem Abdul-Jabbar: what sports have taught me about race in America
- Article from The Undefeated: Dear Black Athlete: What did we learn from the NFL protests?
- ESPN’s The Undefeated: News and commentary that explores the intersections of race, sports and culture